Comet Impact Simulation

To the list,

This story and the referred-to simulation are two years old, but I thought
maybe some
on the list may not be aware of it.  The simulation was performed as a test
for Sandia Lab's
then new super computer.  Since I'm a computer geek as well as a meteorite
fanatic, it
obviously piqued my interest.  The MPEG movies are great and demonstrate
the results of
the impact from different viewpoints!
I hope, at least the ones who don't know of it, enjoy it as well as I did
and find it enlightening.

The introduction from Sandia LabNews web site follows:

Even before it's at full strength, the new teraflops (trillion operations
per second) super computer at
Sandia is making a big splash worldwide. During the initial testing of the
new computer, Gil Weigand,
DOE Deputy Assistant Secretary for Strategic Computing and Simulation,
requested that Sandia
complete a simulation that would be of general interest to the scientific
community. For this reason,
and also to generate unclassified data to test innovative visualization
techniques, Sandia scientist
David Crawford (9232) has carried out a computational simulation of a major
cosmic event of
potential significance to all people on Earth: What would happen if a
kilometer-wide comet struck the
ocean? Color images and animation are available at this Web site:

http://www.sandia.gov/LabNews/LN04-25-97/comet_story.html

The following URL goes directly to the impact simulation:

http://sherpa.sandia.gov/planet-impact/comet/

Sincerely,

Mal

P.S.  I guess my paranoia was bumped up a notch or two last night, after
watching "Deep Impact"
         and "Armageddon" back-to-back - so I thought I would share the
feeling  :-)

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: