Re: Seminole (d) ?

WBranchsb@aol.com schrieb:

> Hello List,
>
> Can anyone help? I have in my possession a 2.7 gram slice of a
> meteorite labeled (not by me) Seminole (d). Upon looking in Ken
> Regelmen's book, he lists a "Seminole" and "Seminole Draw (a)."
> Has anyone any info on a Seminole (d)? Could it be synonymous
> with one of the above? Thanks. - Walter Branch

Hello Walter and List,

There is still some confusion with regard to the Seminole meteorites.
Maybe Jeff Grossman can provide more detailed background information on
them.

This is what I have got:

1) Seminole, H4
   Find 1961
   32° 41' N/102° 37' W

26.1kg, Mainz, MPl. 457g, Wash., U.S. Nat. Mus. 259g, Copenhagen, Univ.
Geol. Mus. 253g, Harvard Univ., BM London, 170.5g.

Two fragments totalling 41.1kg were recovered. Full, illustrated
description, olivine Fa20, G.I. Huss et al., Meteoritics, 1972, 7, p.
463.
T w o  other stones, S e m i n o l e (b), total known weight 1183g, and
S e m i n o l e (c), total known weight 1710g, are also listed, Cat.
Huss Coll. Meteorites, 1976, p.39. Both these stones are H4 chondrites.

2) Seminole Draw (a), L6
   Find 1976
   32° 43' N/102° 39' W

BM London, 35g.
A single mass of 478g was found. Olivine Fa25.9.

Best wishes,

Bernd

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: