Jilin - Esquel - Hoba

Lin Xiaohui schrieb:

> Dear List,
>
> In China,There is a big stone-iron meteorite,its length is 140 cm,
> maximal width is 80 cm , whether it may be called the biggest
> stone-iron meteorites in the world? - Thanks, Lin Xiaohui

Hello Lin and List!

Lin, are you sure you aren't talking about the Jilin (Kirin)  s t o n y
meteorite?
Dimensions of the largest recovered individual: 117 x 93 x 84 cm.
After a fireball and several explosions, a shower of stones fell,
totalling about 4 tonnes and with the largest individual weighing
1770kg.

This would indeed be the "largest" stony meteorite at the moment.

The largest stony-iron I have in my database at the moment might be the
1500 kg Esquel pallasite (Patagonia, Argentina) - unless you have more
recent information.

The largest iron at the moment seems to be the Hoba ataxite weighing
about 60 metric tons.

Best wishes,

Bernd

Archives located at: