Re: update on Ourique, turkmenbashi

At 12:05 AM 5/23/99 , Mike Farmer wrote:

>On another note, the Turkmenbashi meteorite that I had been selling
>since the Tucson show has been renamed Kunya-Urgench. Please make a note
>of that,
>Turkmenbashi is no longer an accepted name for this meteorite.
>Also Kaigorod is now named Vjatka.
>If anyone on this list purchased either Kaigorod or Turkmenbashi from
>me, you may email me the weight and ill make you a new identification
>card and send it to you.

Mike's note needs some clarification, although I'm sure he is being
sincere in what he writes.  The Turkmeni meteorite was not REnamed,
it was just named.  "Turkmenbashi" never was the accepted name for
the meteorite.  Likewise, there never was a meteorite officially named
"Kaigorod."  This was just a dealers' label.  If anybody has questions
about whether names are accepted  or not, please drop me a line and I'll
tell you.

jeff

Dr. Jeffrey N. Grossman, Editor, Meteoritical Bulletin
US Geological Survey
954 National Center
Reston, VA 20192, USA
phone: (703) 648-6184