Permineralized old stuff...

Dear List;
Not trying to torment the dead horse in a different way.  Creataous
meteorites would be rusted and possibly just a stain in a rock, it would
seem (probably an iron concretion sort of thing) due to oxidation..
I wonder what is the oldest meteorite's time on earth and it found to
still be reasonably sound for a speciman?  I am doing a fair amount of
study in Jurassic and Triassic formations presently.  The wood is really
nice, and we have been studying the fundamentals of permineralization by
silification.  Now comes the big one.
Another question.  Under reasonably ideal conditions, would a chondrite
meteorite allow minerialization (silification) to occur before it would
oxidize away?  Keeping in mind that the oxidation would be inhibited in
the anarobic environment of sub-surface swamps (inland seaways) and in
the basin here where the ph is 8 to 10, this would really help toward
perservation/silification.  Carbon replacement by silification occurs,
would a carbonaceous chondrite petrify by silification ideally?
Err...I thought I saw the old horse move...
Thanks,
Dave Freeman

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: