Re: Asteroid resonance - Reuter's

Dear Ron and List,

Clarification:
I did a lousy job of cutting and pasting and my question could have been
clearer, so let me just cut to the chase.

It's the following that is rather curious.

"It turns out that weaker resonances are just right," he said in a telephone
interview.

"They're not too strong that they kick the asteroids into the sun or out of
the solar system, and they're not too weak so that the asteroids just stay
in the asteroid belt," he added."

It's the last half of this last statement that needs clarification -
"they're not too weak so that the asteroids just stay
in the asteroid belt,"   It implies that the weak resonances effectively are
responsible (aside from collisions and Jupiter) for 'getting' asteroids out
of the belt.   Is this correct?  Are the weaker resonances,( in addition to
Jupiter's influence and the inevitable collisions within the belt,)
responsible for removing asteroids from the belt?  and if so, how?  (And now
I quit for the day and may leave the country before Ron sends the Men in
Black:-)

Best Regards,
Julia

Archives located at: