Re: Odd meteorite on Ebay-Earlier post

Hi Joel and list,

Although I agree with some of what you say as far as a buyer checking out or
having knowledge of whether or not what he/she is getting is a meteorite, I
disagree with your assessment of their being no experts on the list. Certainly
Mike Jensen, Matt Morgan and many of the other dealers (myself included) are
qualified to make a determination as to whether a specimen is a meteorite or
not. I can't speak for the bulk of the dealers here but I myself go through two
or three hundred specimens a year trying to determine if the perspective owners
have a rite or wrong. After I get through the examination stage and I think I
have a good candidate then it goes into my lab for chemical testing.

My collection has almost every type class of meteorite in it that can be obtain
and I have these excellent references to compare to. I would bet that I could
identify most meteorites and I keep my eyes and mind open to some new forms that
we may never have seen,  before I discount it as a meteorite. True you can only
make an educated guess with a picture of a specimen on ebay but I would guess we
have many talented dealers more than capable of making a good determination if a
specimen is or isn't.

--AL

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: