RE: "Midwest" Fireball......

   From:  LARGEEYES@aol.com
   Date:  Tue, 16 Nov 1999 23:28:07 EST
Subject: (meteorobs) My 15 seconds of Fame
     To:  meteorobs@jovian.com

After seeing tonights mysterious fireball I have been glued to the
radio/TV for any news of confirmation of it being just plain old space junk.

However, I keep running into news media that want to say that this is "the
start
of the Leonids".  Well, I was watching channel 12 in Cincinnati when Tim
Hedrick(anyone Cincinnatians on this list?) comes on and lists the
possibility
-- the top one being the Leonids.  Well, at this point, I'm ready
to tell these news media that they're WRONG.  So I call channel 12 and
get someone in the news room.  I then explain how and why this ISN'T a
Leonid
and am told to hold on...which somewhat irritates me as I hear weird noises
on the phone.  Next thing I know Tim Hedrick is on the line.  As I try to
keep my heart out of my throat, I calmly explain to him about why this
wasn't a Leonid(time/direction) and we discuss it for 2-4 minutes and I even
talked about this mailing list and all the scientists on here. Anyways, next
thing I know, he has another call and we hang up.  About 5 minutes later, he
returns to do the weather again and mentions the meteor again.  He mentions
some calls from "Astronomers" he has gotten, and tries to explain how
different an Astronomer is from a Meteoroligist.  Anyways, he then describes
EXACTLY
what I had just told him. He said how this meteor would have been going east
to west if it was a Leonid and went on to say that it could be part of the
Leonids, but he was now leaning away from that possibility.  Anyhow, I
felt I had done my share to straighten this mess out, at least for the
viewers
of one TV station in one city.

Clear skies,
Jeremy(non-Astronomer)