Leonids Report - Wisc.

Hello List...

S.W. Wisconsin, here...

Hopped in the car looking for a deserted country road, and began viewing at
2:35 a.m. Central.  Beautiful clear skies here, and cold.  (but a walk in
the park for our northern friends!)  About 35 degrees.  Lone trip, this
one... can't get the kids enthused, and the Mrs. would much rather sleep
than shiver with me!

Observed for 70 minutes...  looks like I should have gotten out earlier,
from the sounds of reports from California!  But,... not a bad show, either.
I saw a total of 30 Leonids.  About 6 or 8 exibited beautiful long yellowish
trains of moderate duration.  Most were very fast, short-lived, and white in
color.  The highlight was what one could only class as a fireball !  It must
have been a large one (for a Leonid)!  Extremely bright, and "in my face"...
it traversed half the sky traveling S.S.E. to N.N.W., with an extemely long
tail of dissapating fragments!  I watched as it fragmented into 3 or 4
individual pieces, each with their own trail !!!  WOW!!!  Still trying to
close my jaw.  That one, made the whole thing worthwhile!  They should time
these things for the 4th of July!!!  :)

Bruce D. Yager
bdyager@mhtc.net

Archives located at: