Subject: Re: Astronomers Report On Strange Double Asteroid
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 01:57:49 -0700

"J. Warren" wrote:
Well, personally, i won't believe the story until the "Posse" has a   chance
to review the photographs...... :) Joel

Joel,
I really don't understand your sarcasm and antagonism towards us as a
group.  You seem to think of us as a lynch mob of the sorts.  Actually,we've
had more eBay sellers thanking us for the info to make theirauctions more
successful and legitimate, than threatening to sue us.Fraud is fraud, and
ignorance is ignorance...they are not one and the same.  True, we have no
power, but what's the FTC, FBI, and BBB going to do about meteorite related
eBay fraud?  What if the seller were from overseas?  In these cases, you
have to rely on eBay's legal resources.
If Federal agencies were semi-knowledgeable in the field, the following
sites wouldn't be online:
http://www.marsmeteorite.com
You could spend hours in here!  Many megabytes of pages.
http://sites.netscape.net/bccmeteorites/homepage.html
We are not law enforcement, merely a watch-dog group for meteorites.
Does Consumer Reports bust people?  You are also right, it's every man>for
himself out there, and buyer beware.  But, as Dean stated earlier,>there are
many new and naive collectors starting out everyday.

You may have personal conflicts with a couple of members/supporters of the
"posse" (I really don't like that term, but I didn't start it) but,
please don't direct your hostility towards us/me.  We only have good
intentions.

Regards,
Dave