Two More Lunar Impacts Confirmed

Forwarded From David Dunham (dunham@erols.com)
Subject: Two more lunar impacts CONFIRMED, on 2 videos

     Pedro Valdes Sada reports two lunar flashes that he
videorecorded near Monterey, Mexico, about half an hour
after the event seen by Brian Cudnik and recorded by me
that is now so famous.  He gives the times in his message,
copied below.  They are also on my tape, made in Mount
Airy, Maryland, at the times he gives!  Later today, we
will digitize these two new flashes and put them up at
http://iota.jhuapl.edu
They are also near the lunar equator.  We will be=20
determining the exact times from the tapes when we can;
I'm sure they will agree to within the 1/15th or so
second of timing that we can probably recover from the
tapes.  I had a WWV minute tone recorded at 5:07:00 UT,
7 and 8 minutes before the flashes, respectively.  The
new objects are also probably Leonids, since it was still
near the time the peak was striking the Moon, but of
course we do not know for sure, since we don't know from
which direction the meteoroids approached the Moon.

For observers, a key to my success in this endeavor was
the focal reducing lens that I purchased from Orion;
it decreased the f-ratio of my 5-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain
telescope from 10 to 6.3.  That not only increases the
field of view by more than a factor of 3 in area, but
also increased sensitivity by concentrating the seeing
disk of point sources onto fewer pixels, and allowed,
for example, recording (faintly) the Earthlit dark side
of the Moon.

By measuring images showing the lunar cusps and terminator
taken before and after the 4:46:15 UT event, I was able
to determine that it occurred at an angle (measured from
the Moon's center, called "cusp angle" in occultation
terminology) of 77 deg. from the north cusp.  Using also=20
the distance of 1.7' in from the edge, this puts the
impact point in Oceanus Procellarum (Ocean of Storms)
about 50 km east-northeast of the center of the 50-km
crater Cardanus, at selenographic longitude 71 deg. W.,
latitude 14 deg. N., with estimated accuracy of 2 deg. or
50 km.

David Dunham, IOTA, 1999 November 23