TRINITITE IS STILL RADIOACTIVE - Absolutely

Dear Greg and List -

Yes, trinitite is STILL radioactive..... it sets my geiger counter off
WELL, too.

And... I keep mine in a special suitcase in the garage.....

(far back I might add) -

There was a time when people made jewelry out of it....
It HAS been known to burn skin pretty badly in this capacity...

Not the "toy of choice" as a rock for the desk.

It IS neat to have.... and occasionally ponder over, however.

As far as background radiation... if we threw it into space far
enough... maybe we could consider it residue from the big bang, right?
(pun intended)

Best,

Sarah

> Dear List Members:
>
> There has been a lot of talk lately about trinitite.  I have recently
> purchased a Geiger Counter from AWARE ELECTRONICS at http://www.aw-el.com/   I
>  purchased the RM 80, their best model.
>
> When I turned the geiger counter onto a 3.1 gram specimen of trinitite,
> glassy shiny side up it went wild!!!  After 450 readings the average was
> 440.14 micro Roentgens per hour.  The background radiation was only 8 uR/hr
> by comparison.  I did not subtract the background from the total reading.
>
> I have enclosed a bitmap graph of the data.  You may find it interesting.
> Like I said, I only recently purchased this geiger counter.  Does anyone on
> the list have any information regarding the measurement of radioactivity ie
> Curies, Roentgens, Bacquerals, etc
>
> In conclusion, Trinitite is still radioactive!!  So do not make any jewerly
> out of it or keep it in your pocket for "good luck".  Look forward to hearing
> your comments on this interesting subject.
>
> Sincerely
> Greg Shanos
>
> PS  Meteorties tested so far, Allende, Millbillie and Murchison are all equal
> to the background therefore zero radioactivity.

>                          Name: Trinitite.bmp
>           Part 1.2       Type: Windows Bitmap (image/x-MS-bmp)
>                      Encoding: base64

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: