Re: TRINITITE

need to fear Trinitite (a.ka. Adamsite)--it is possibly a midge higher in
radioactivity then you are!  The fission products in the glass was very
short lived (or should I say shot half-lived?).  I visited the Trinity site
in 1994 while working on a public radio documentary for the 50th
anniversary.  The original crater was buldozed and much of the blast glass
was plowed underground.  A few chucks ended up in collectors and that gets
passed around.  There is a small shed near ground zero which preserves the
original glass deposit as it was, within a few yards of GZ.  It's a
fascinating place to visit--open to the public two times a year.  Call the
White Sands Missile Range PR office for the appointment.

Lou Varricchio

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: