Re: Robot Joins The Polar Meteorite Hunt

>Nov. 28 -  A rock-hunting robot is being sent to Antarctica on a mission
>that will likely turn up the first meteorites discovered by a machine rather
>than a human. The project's leaders hope the techniques will be put to use
>someday by free-thinking robots sent to other planets.

"Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!"

Actually, "Star Trek" fans will recall the intelligent (and potentially
Earth-destroying) robot named Nomad, in the episode "The Changeling." And
Nomad kept floating around the "Enterprise" barking "Sterilize carbon-based
lifeforms," etc. So I guess we can rely on the real Nomad to return
completely uncontaminated samples from Antarctica. I wonder if this is a
coincidence, or if there are some "Star Trek" fans among Nomad's design
team? As we all know -- I expect -- the first shuttle had its name changed
to "Enterprise" after a letter-writing campaign from "Trek" fans.

So, here's a multiple-choice question for the List.

If an intelligent robot finds a meteorite on public land, does the
meteorite belong to:

a)  The robot

b)  The company that built the robot

c)  The estate of Isaac Asimov

But seriously, interesting post, thanks Ron. I wonder how many other
science fiction fans are out there, finding this a rather amazing tale.

Cheers to all,

Geoff N.

Geoffrey Notkin
Senior Art Director
Stanegate Studios, USA
P.O. Box 87,  Jersey City, NJ 07303

Telephone: (201) 435-8888

Email: geoking@advanix.net
            ammonite@aol.com

PROTECT YOUR RIGHT TO PRIVACY

Resist the National Security Council's Echelon spy network.
This is not a joke. It concerns everyone who uses email.
Your government may be snooping on you right now -- "for your
own good," of course.

Learn more about Echelon and email surveillance:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/Digital/Features/spies221199.shtml

Armalite   Hacker   MI5   Plutonium  Smartbomb   Have a nice day Echelon

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: