Re: Pronunciations

> I knew someone who spent time with nininger while he was still alive. I
>  can only assume he pronounced his name correctly, having known him.

I remember hearing Dr. Alan Rubin (who presumably was
pretty close to Nininger's world), pronounce it with the "hard G"
also, exactly as Michael described.  As to other meteoritical
pronunciations, I have to think that there's probably some undefined
point at which foreign-language pronunciations will tend to defer
to "anglicized" ones, at least to those who speak English.
If one strictly observes the respective languages-of-origin, I'll bet
that Gibeon, Chassigny, Gao-Guenie, Sikhote Alin, Kunya Urgench,
etc, are probably all pronounced differently from what is generally
heard/accepted.   When someone says "I'm going on a trip to Roma,
Wien, Moskva and Napoli", or "I'm going to Meh-hee-co  to search
for Allende" don't we usually regard it as affectation rather than linguistic
accuracy?  I mean, should English-speakers really say paREE rather
than Paris?  Conversely, is there anything wrong with Spanish-speakers
saying "Nueva York"?  It's fun to kick around, though...anyone wanna
take a stab at Suizhou, N'Goureyma, or Tuxtuac?

Gregory  (currently residing in Los An-hel-es)

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: