Fwd: Geo vs Astro chemistry Errata

In a message dated 11/24/1999 6:32:41 PM Mountain Standard Time, RSKUNTER
writes:

<< n a message dated 11/23/1999 1:42:35 PM Mountain Standard Time,
jonee@epix.net writes:

 <<   A minor point  but I believe I understand that the terrestrial iron when
  found, is not natively pure like gold or copper can be.  The distinction
between
  alloy and compound blurs.  >>

 Hi Elton Jones and List,
 My first reply to the list and you all, so hello.

 A comment of hopeful interest is that both native gold and copper contain
trace other elements which can be distinguished between sites and locations
oof occurrences.  At one stage, I was employed as a metallurgist for a
Western Australian company and used an electron microprobe for process
mineralogy in support of the company mines.  One of the recurring problems
the company had at its gold operations was the theft of native gold
(mineralogical term is electrum).  This gold often turned up for sale
elsewhere or was "processed" through state batteries (state operated stamp
mills for small miners) from a valid small claim.  There were some small
claims (mines) that had a tremendous production from a very small tonnage.
Once processed through the state battery, the legal ownership was transferred
to the owner of the claim whose ore was being processed, a way of laundering
gold.  The state battery allowed the owner of the ore being processed to keep
the gravity/amalgam recovered gold which he was required to clean and retort
himself and shared the recovery of the gold from the follow-on cyanidation
circuit which recovered the fine gold.  Microprobe examination of electrum
from the companies mines indicated unique signature amounts of trace elements
occurring with the gold in the electrum that allowed specific identification
of native gold (electrum) from its mineralogical source.  Gold is alloyed
commonly with silver, copper, iron, and a variety of other elements mostly in
trace amounts.  Naturally occurring gold, i.e., native gold or electrum,
will not be pure gold but will have other elements alloyed with it.  High
grade pure gold will be the result of human refining.  Almost all high grade
gold will be produced as the result of chlorination of molten dore bullion
which will form chlorides of silver, copper, and iron prior to the formation
of gold chlorides.  The resultant intermediately pure gold, 99.5% gold, is
further refined electrolytically in Thumb cells to 99.99% gold.

 There are parallels in copper.  At one time, native copper was mined from
the Kewinau (sp?) peninsula of Michigan in such quantities and with known
impurities that it was marketed separately on world trade markets as Lake
Copper.  This area was also know to the Indians prior to its larger scale
mining history;  they used the native copper for trading and to produce
artifacts for their own use.  It was sufficiently high grade copper than it
was fairly malleable and could be shaped.  It would work harden which was
useful for weapons as with sufficient working they would keep their edge.

 Hope the above discussion was of some interest.  I realize that it is
somewhat afield of the discussions of meteorites, however the discussion of
naturally occurring alloys is germane to the understanding that very few
areas of life or nature are completely black or white.  I have enjoyed the
discussions on the meteorites.  I came across "The List" while doing some
background searches on the Leonids.  I am old enough to part of the original
"Moon-Watch" teams to help determine the first satellite orbits.  It is good
to be back.

 I have noticed that there are several of the list that have addresses in
Lakewood or the Denver area.  Do you have any actual stores (i.e., Mile High
Meteorites) or is it all virtual?  I live on Lookout Mountain just west of
Denver and would enjoy saying hello and looking at some meteorite specimens
if any of you are willing.

 Regards >>

-- BEGIN included message

In a message dated 11/23/1999 1:42:35 PM Mountain Standard Time,
[...]

Regards and Happy Thanksgiving to You All

Richard Kunter, rskunter@aol.com

-- END included message