Nov. 5th, N.C. Fireball

Regarding the November 5th fireball in the North Carolina area, all of the
following information is from the Meteor Observers mailing list:

--- Sean Barker <barke009@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I know nothing about this sort of thing but i ended up here because i was
searching the net for info on an object i saw in the sky above
> Raleigh NC in  the very early morning of november 5 (12-1am).  It was very
big and bright starting white and growing and brightening to
> green before breaking up into several smaller pieces which faded to orange
and disappeared before reaching  the horizon.
> The general direction was from east to southeast.  Duration was 3-5 sec.
I was so awe-struck that i was surprised i heard nothing
> about it in the news the next day.  Did anyone else on the planet see
this, or should i have said no to that last beer?

--- Jim Bedient <bedient@amsmeteors.org> wrote:

> I had a report from a guy who saw the end of it in
> the southeast from
> Hillsborough, NC.  He also described it as green.
>
> JB

> >From: "exceld77" <excel@siol.net>
> >To: <meteorobs@jovian.com>
> >Subject: Re: (meteorobs) november 5 fireball
> >Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 21:36:23 +0100
> >
> >Sounds like it may have been a Taurid fireball.
> >They often break up and are of long duration.
> >In which part of the sky did it appear?
> >
> >Jure
> >
> >-------------------

--- Sean Barker <barke009@hotmail.com> wrote:
> thanks for your reply.  the object i described was
> in the southeast.  i got
> one other note from a guy who had a report from
> someone in Hillsborough NC
> who also saw it, also describing it as green.

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: