The outer planets (used to be Most distant Solar System object detected)

Hi Ron and List,

OK.  Throw out the original BBC article.

My question from scratch is:  Couldn't our outer gaseous planets be former
comets trapped in orbit around our sun during the early stages of the
formation of our solar system?  They have the same gases and a small rocky
core.   There are two immediate, obvious problems:  They are very big and
where's the ice?   As to size, perhaps there are some large travellers out
there circumnavigating the galaxy.  As to ice, well, it does have a way of
converting:-)

Just pondering Jupiter et al as possible former comets :-)   What's wrong
with this picture?

Best Wishes,
Julia

Archives located at: