Re: The outer planets

>My question is, could Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, have been large
>comets themselves before coming to an inactive or dormant state known as a
>gaseous 'planet'?

Probably not, since the bulk of the gaseous planets are helium and hydrogen,
which is quite different from the makeup of a comet.

Also, the gaseous planets are not inactive, nor are they dormant.  They
generate more heat than they receive.  In comparison with a gaseous
planet, a comet would be considered dormant.

There is a protoplanet theory says the solar nebula
collapsed into large bodies almost from the beginning, which evolved into
the gaseous planets we know today.  This would explain how the gaseous planets
were able to hold on to their atmosphere.  Comets would be too small to hold
an atmosphere.

Ron Baalke

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: