Re: Dust aloft was Re:Meteor May Not Have Destroyed Dinosaurs Afterall?

Hello List,

Absurd or not dust from Mt Saint Helens remained aloft and detectable for nearly
3 years..  Krakatoa's eruption disrupted world weather for at least a year.  Ice
cores over several seasons reflect it's continual washout over several seasons.

In addition, the soot evidence suggests that world forests burned extensively.
With rain patterns disrupted and ground moisture lost, who is to say if the
rains of that time are like the rains of today.  Fuel cutting in the Sahara
Forest just 2-3 thousand years ago has caused a desert which is still spreading.
There are many factors besides impact ejecta to be factored in.

Is someone suggesting that there is a direct comparison or "equality" of scale
between  rocket launches of a few thousand pounds of volitales and several cubic
miles of volcanic silicacaecous dust, in terms of the length of time for them to
drop to "undetectable levels"?

Oh for the aggressive or rude lurkers on the list-- you don't have to (attempt
to) belittle others in order to  promote your position above everyone else ... I
have found that, in time, one will either "stand out" or "stick out" in the
quality  of one's communications.  Others can then judge the content for
themselves.  All that said, I tend to agree with you that too little knowledge
is not desirable.  Most of us here are trying to increase ours.

By all means if this list or any other distresses one so much,  why stay
subscribed? Vote with your feet!

Regards Listees,
E.L.Jones

James Oxford wrote:

> To suggest that impact debris could remain suspended in the atmosphere for
> many years is absurd. Rocket experiments by several nations during the 1970s
> showed that even very small particles - about the size of cigarette smoke -
> take only about 8 weeks to descend from the ionosphere to the troposphere
> before raining out of the system.
>
> Too many people with big ideas and little knowledge, me thinks.
>
> James Oxfordn

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit:

Follow-Ups: References: