Re: Dust Aloft Late Breaking-OT

I just thought of something to add, that is somewhat related. I've witnessed
at least once a year over major brush fires in southern California, columns
of high rising thick smoke will often turn cloud white at the tops looking
identical to thunderheads. They are easy to spot and usually lightning can be
seen occuring alongside the smoke/thunderhead columns. I haven't noticed any
rain reaching the ground from these, but I highly suspect virga occurs. That
is it rains and dissipates before reaching the ground. This is essentially a
cooling off process of the rising column of heated air and smoke.
GeoZay

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: