Re: Meteor May Not Have Destroyed Dinosaurs Afterall?

Greetings fellow armchair analysts -

--- "E. L. Jones" <jonee@epix.net> wrote:
> For what reason we haven't discovered but , as per
> someone's research, animals over 25kg. in body
> weight were the species which vanished. Could this
be > the size which was unable to evade the fog?

Let's assume for a moment that less than 25kg. body
weight allowed a creature to escape chemical
poisoning.
There must have been dinosaurs less than 25kg. body
weight, and indeed some of them must have burrowed.
Why didn't the dinosaur survivors mutate and re-occupy
their previous niches?

It has been speculated that so much of the Earth's
atmosphere was lost that dinosuar metabolism was no
longer effective.  Indeed, recent fossil finds seemed
to indicate that dinosaur diaphrams were unique, and
their lung action was unique.

How much atmosphere was lost? The problem is modeling
the initial blast, which simply goes off the scale.

It would also seem that molten globules from the K-T
impact must have been scattered all over the surface
of the Earth, and given the high winds at even points
remote from the impact site (and given its size
nothing was that remote) these incendiary particles
must have set most of the Earth's surface on fire.

A large part of the free oxygen must have combined
with
carbon on the Earth's surface, and remained trapped
there for quite a while.

Another problem is the disappearance of those floating
shelled creatures from the Earth's seas, and their
predators.  Given that these creatures used their own
internal gas "balloon" for bouyancy, what happened
when that chamber was hit by massive overpressures?

None of these creatures survived.  Whatever mechanism
one comes up with for the K-T extinction has to
explain this, and here the Deccan Traps fail
miserably.

EP

=====