Hector Mine Earthquake

Woke up to a decent earthquake here in Barstow.  Very noisy and somewhat
violent.
Little damage here, but my work took me to the epicenter and found a few
bridges that took damage.  Lavic O.C. was moved some six inches East.  Lots
of land subsidence and of course the Amtrak that was derailed.  Thank
goodness no one hurt.  Newberry Springs had lots of shelf throw and such.
There are some cracks across the freeway but minor.  All the appropriate
bridges in the area had been retro-fitted for earthquakes and that saved
Pisgah bridge over the railroad.  Couldn't find any obvious surface faulting.
 Really glad to know we were able to ride out a 7.0 without suffering more
than this.

John

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: