Re: velocity of incandecense vs atmosphere density

Dear Howard,

The Martian atmosphere is almost negligible.
(Very low density)

There is almost no oxygen in the martian atmosphere.

They lost that probe because of a mistake.

Metals will burn once hot enough.

(remember the British destroyer, Sheffield? made from aluminium, it went up
like a paper cup after a strike by the Argentinian air force during the
Falkland war...)

Most forms of burning require oxygen.
I used to weld too...
Acetylene is one intense molecule, very reactive, max temp >3000 upon
ignition....
(Combined with oxygen, ofcourse...)

a bigger question, if fire is your topic, is how does the sun appear to
burn?

There is no oxygen there...

A different form of fire, I guess, the residual flame of nuclear radiation.
It is not fire as we know it....

-Alex