RE: Parent Bodies

> It really doesn't matter where Jupiter was (although I would like to
> know what forces were able to
> put it in its current orbit and park it there)

I think current theories are that the 5 AU point, where Jupiter
now resides, was the location in the protoplanetary disk where the
ambient temperature of the dust and gas was at the ice point of water.

The slush in that zone quickly accreted matter forming proto-Jupiter
first among the planetesimals.

In a runaway process, this quickly depleted a zone of matter and starved
the region of the asteroid belt of matter - hence no planet there.

Similar slush points farther out at 10 and 20 AU (where I think
ammonia and methane formed ice) created Saturn and Uranus a little later.

--
Jim Hurley  Freelance graphics artist
Web site design, graphics, multimedia

Archives located at: