When Does a Meteorite become a Meteorite?

During some of the recent long discussions, I've found my tongue getting a
little twisted when I tried to describe the object that is left when the
point of extinction has been reached. I've alternated between using "object"
and "meteoroid" and on occasions probably just "thing". It has occurred to me
to now ask the question, "Just when does a meteorite become a meteorite" ?
I've always unconsiously thought that a meteorite becomes so as soon as it
hits the ground. But what do you have after visible light extinction that is
different from what will hit the ground a few minutes later? Is it proper to
refer to it as a meteorite prior to hitting the ground? I would think so?
But haven't heard anyone suggesting this?  It's no longer a meteor (the
visible light phenomenon). And I think of a meteoroid as that object in space
that has yet to enter the earth's atmosphere and become a meteor.  Anyone
have any thoughts about when does a meteorite become a meteorite?
geozay

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: