Re: When Does a Meteorite become a Meteorite?

richard<<
 The particle can be called whatever we agree to call it after it "flames
 out." It has no God-given (as far as we know) or inherent name at this
 point. <<

Yes, we can call it whatever we want after it flames out. But wouldn't it be
best referring to words that most fits the definition? Calling it a meteoroid
after the object reaches the dark flight stage would be like calling what
quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, and walks like a duck,  a
chicken...although to be certain, one is waiting to see if it has made it's
way into the barnyard.  Besides, as pointed out by david in another post,
there seems to have already been precedance as to what to call these objects
after the dark stage for the smaller versions of the same objects....that is
the micro-meteorites. Micro is only a designation in reference to it's size.
A small duck....big duck thingy. Take that word away and you have meteorites.

richard>>I see no problem in continuing to call it a meteoroid at this
 stage. It is a meteoroid (particle); the meteoroid flares up, then burns
 out and becomes dark. It's still basically the same THING.<<

By definition it's not basically the same thing. A meteoroid is not the same
as a meteor nor a meteorite. And once  in the dark stage, the definition of
meteoroid no longer describes the object that is falling. But calling it a
meteorite does...it's basically the same thing.
geozay

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: