Re: When it's a rock! (was, "RE: When Does a Meteorite become a Meteorite?")

Just to confuse the issue, a question from a newbie.  When it's a piece of space
junk coming through the atmosphere making the light what do we call it?  (Assuming
you could tell the difference between space junk and a real rock from space, in
flight.)  Most of us amateur astronomer types call all of the smaller ones
*shooters* out in the field - the big ones are *fireballs*.  Sometimes you hear
*bolide* from the more academic folks.

Ginger Mayfield
Divide, CO

Mikestockj@aol.com wrote:

> I was thinking that may be we name it.  Since I used to work in the super
> secret Anacronym Dept. for the Federal government.  I have came up with three
> choices.  Please vote for your favorite.
> 1.  DNLPTSIA   Dark Non-Light Phenomena Thingy That's Still In The Atmosphere.
>
> 2. FMNNQAM    Former Meteor Now Not Quite A Meteorite.
>
> 3. My personal favorite  Dark Astronomical Meteor Requiring Obligatory
> Consignee that's Kosher.  or just DAMROCK for short.
>
> My two grams worth.
> Mike Jensen

> Archives located at:
> http://www.meteoritecentral.com/list_best.html