Re: When Meteorite...

Bob Boor et al.

I'm just going to say one last thing on this labelling issue, then go
back and lurk in my cave. Many of you have made interesting points, and
the discussion has been educational for me. To me the bottom line is
this: Just as John Doe the human entity is basically the same entity at
birth as he is in older age (despite the moral equivalent of ablation
and crusting or burnout), so that fragment from space that enters the
earth's atmosphere is basically the same entity from the time of its
space voyage through its atmospheric fate, whether that be burnout or
meteorite status.

That relatively constant entity perhaps needs a name. If it had one,
then meteoroid, meteor, dissipated entity (ex-meteor), dark-stage entity
(pre-meteorite), or meteorite all would be descriptive stages of the
passage and/or ultimate fate of the basic entity. This would make a lot
more sense to me than trying to think of it as several different things
just because something about it has been slightly modified.

Back to lurking. -- Richard

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: