Re: Millions of new Comets Coming - Part 2 of 2

Hi  list,

Someone just wrote me:

"There is no significant "Repelling" force in the universe-- save
magnetism."

So it occurred to me clarification of what I said is needed.  My response
was:
"I suppose I should have put the 'mimicking effect of seeming to repel, as
in push' (producing the same
outcome as magnetism) brought about by gravitational influence."

The definition of a shepherding moon to which I refer is:

Shepherd satellite:
"The gravitational influence of a moon in orbit near the edge of a planetary
ring can have the effect of repelling the ring material. This "shepherding"
effect has been found to confine a number of rings in the solar system, and
the moons that do the shepherding are called shepherd satellites. "

I applied this same concept to how a star approaching the Oort cloud would,
instead of the logical concept of attracting comets to itself through it's
gravitational influence, it might counterintuitively 'push' them toward
Earth.  Is there another explanation of a star's  'pushing' comets away from
itself and toward Earth , instead of attracting them toward itself and away
from Earth, as in the approaching stars from beyond the Oort cloud mentioned
in Bernd's post?

Best Regards,
Julia

Archives located at: