[Fwd: New Quebec Crater featured in National Geographic]

-- BEGIN included message

Piper, Bernd

You may wish to forward this to the list, my address book is a mess right now....
But a Quebec production company produced a relatively current video about the
New Quebec Crater and the scientific expedition that did a/the follow-up. I am certain that
it aired on TLC and the Discovery channel here in Canada about 2 yrs ago. If you or any other
listees wanted to put out a bit of cash I'm certain their archive departments could produce
a copy or put you in touch with the original producers. I thought it quite an interesting
video.

Cheers,
Don Fougere
Cold Lake AB
meteorite@telusplanet.ca

On Wednesday, September 15, 1999 10:30 AM, Piper R.W. Hollier [SMTP:piper@xs4all.nl] wrote:
> Hello Jim, Walter, and list,
>
> The National Geographic Society and the Royal Ontario Museum of Toronto
> co-sponsored the first scientific expedition to this crater, then known as
> the Chubb Crater, in July and August of 1951. The January 1952 issue of
> National Geographic Magazine featured a 32-page article about this
> expedition, "Solving the Riddle of Chubb Crater", with very impressive
> color photos of an equally impressive crater. The expedition was an
> adventurous undertaking, as the crater is in a very remote area and was
> only accessible for a few weeks in the summer when the lake in the crater
> was free of ice, making it possible to land an amphibious plane. Although
> this expedition was able to conclude that the crater is not volcanic in
> origin, the scientists did not find conclusive evidence then of a meteorite
> impact, although a magnetometer reading did suggest that a buried mass or
> masses of iron could be present under one area of the rim.
>
> The crater was originally named for Frederick Chubb, a prospector and
> frontiersman who became interested in the crater when he found it on an
> aerial photograph in 1950, and participated in the expedition in 1951. It
> has since been renamed New Quebec Crater.
>
> This issue of NGM is frequently offered on eBay and usually closes at
> around $5. Any list member in Europe who is interested in a copy and wants
> to save on postage can contact me, as I have found several copies here in
> Amsterdam and will pass them on at my cost.
>
> Many thanks to Bernd for the additional information.
>
> Best wishes to all,
>
> Piper Hollier

> Archives located at:
> http://www.meteoritecentral.com/list_best.html