Reproduction of a meteorite ???

I have what appears to be a cast copy of a meteorite.  It is approximately
8.5" x 5" x5" and weighs about 12 lbs.  It seems to be cast of a black,
very hard and dense plastic or epoxy (I think) and has a gloss coating on
it (varnish?).  The previous owner indicated that it is about 30 years old
and was in the possession of his grandfather in upstate New York.  Attached
is a URL showing this "meteorite".  Can anyone identify the meteorite that
it might be a copy of?  Any other ideas on what this might be?

http://hiwaay.net/~dfronfld/metcoll/darkrock.jpg

Thanks
Regards, Dan

Handmade Knives by D. Fronefield
"Specializing in meteorites and other exotic materials"
http://hiwaay.net/~dfronfld

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: