Curious about John (O') Keefe

Hello List and Darryl in particular!

I recently got the back issues of the NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC
MAGAZINES that Piper kindly offered to send to anyone interested.
The January,1952,Vol. CI, Number 1 issue features an interesting article
"Solving the Riddle of Chubb Crater" [author: V.B. Meen] with lots of
beautiful and informative b & w and color photographs. The article
mentions a certain John Keefe several times. Now my question is if that
is the famous John O'Keefe. There is also a photo showing Mr Keefe -
and the caption says "Transitman John Keefe Signals to His Rodman".
I am attaching the JPEG (58 KB) for Daryll because we all know he
knows O'Keefe personally.

Passages in the text that mention John Keefe (excerpts):

1) p. 3: "To help me in geological and survey work were John Keefe and
Leonard Cowan. John, a geophysicist, had originally intended to start
work that summer in western Canada's new oil fields, but scrapped his
plans.

2) p. 17: "Jack Keefe (soon dubbed "Long John") was eager to get started
on the land survey to which he could tie in future readings taken from
his magnetometer, the delicate and valuable instrument used to determine
whether any buried meteorite mass lay beneath the crater rim."

Best wishes,

Bernd

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: