From: The Learning Kingdom <fact@LearningKingdom.com>
Subject: Cool Fact: First Scientific Society
To: Cool Fact List <fact@tlk-lists.com>

  The Learning Kingdom's Cool Fact of the Day for September 27, 1999

                What was the first scientific society?

In 1603, the Academy Of Lynxes (l'Academia dei Lincei) was founded in
Italy by Federico Cesi, Duke of Aquasparta.  It was the first formal
group in the world dedicated solely to scientific research.  The lynx
was chosen as its symbol because of the animal's sharp eyes and wily
ways.

Cesi was only eighteen when he founded the Academy.  At first, it had
only four members, all of them young men.  The sixth member to join
was Galileo Galilei, who joined in 1611.  With the famous Galileo on
board, membership grew to 32, with many members in foreign countries.

The Academy was not universally respected.  Even Cesi's own father
was against it.  Academy members were thought by many to be
practicing witchcraft, and for some years its members were forced to
scatter throughout Europe to avoid persecution.

More about Federico Cesi and the Academy Of Lynxes:
http://es.rice.edu/ES/humsoc/Galileo/People/cesi.html

Today's sponsor:          Cybergold

"Click Here to Join Cybergold -- the Internet's premier incentive
program.  Cybergold pays you REAL CASH to read ads, complete
surveys and make purchases on the World Wide Web.  Become a
member and "Get Paid to Surf the Web" today.  It's FREE!"
http://www.cybergold.com/pid/500200001094_txt_001