Re: Elton: Meteor May Not Have Destroyed Dinosaurs Afterall?

Thank you very much, Elton.  Your reply fulfilled
completely my expectations of your abilities and
knowledge.

Let's now proceed from this initial state.

What is observed, (a few deluded individuals like
David Hatcher Childress excepted), is that all larger
animals died in the K-T event, except those that
burrowed: snakes, turtles, crocodiles, alligators, and
mice.  Their burrowing activity allowed them to escape
the overpressures and fire.

It was a puzzle why birds should be added to this
list, but your observation that their lungs can
withstand higher overpressures explains their survival
neatly.  I don't think that the information for bird
lungs can be extended to dinosaurs, in as much as bird
lungs are uniquely adapted for the atmospheric changes
involved with flight.

Now comes the interesting part.  Not only would
natural features serve to focus and intensify the
blast overpressures to lethal levels well beyond the
400 mile range you cite, but the shock wave would have
been herded by the Earth's gravity to meet again at
lethal level at a point on exactly the opposite side
of the Earth from the impact point itself.  (This is a
first order estimate, determining exactly the size of
the lethal area on the opposite side would require
some fairly complex math.)

This pulse itself then rebounds.  Add in the other
secondary pulse caused by the return of the blown out
atmosphere back to Earth due to gravity, and you have
repeated pulses to overpressure, along with the
thermal wave, (I did mention that all this air was
superheated, didn't I?): no larger animal survived.

Whatever the effects of the Deccan Traps, they were
minor compared to this. It is an open question as to
whether the Trap's volcanic activity preceeded the K-T
impact, or whether the energy added by K-T impact
triggered an existing (perhaps active) fault.

In conclusion, the amount of money spent
internationally on impact research should at least
equal that spent on volcanology.

EP

PS on crypotozoology - While some people want to
believe that some larger animals survived the K-T
event, the physics of it do not seem to allow for this
possibilty.  It is far more likely that surviving
creatures evolved into similar forms to occupy the
same niches, and that some of these are now extinct.
That these animals may have been collected by ancient
kings may be possible, as seen on both the Narner
Pallette and the Ishtar Gate.