[meteorite-list] price/pictures

From: Frank Prochaska <fprochas_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:31 2004

Donald, David, and list,

It appears to me that there is a much larger business in archealogical
artifacts today than in meteorites. Despite the high profile cases that
make it to the courts that the media likes to capitalize on, people hunt for
Native American and other artifacts all the time. Anything associated with
an archealogical site could be considered a protected artifact in the right
circumstances: an agate, a particular piece of basalt, a fossil, a carved
stick, or a meteorite. That said, not hunting for them for fear of "losing"
it is like a self inflicted "rusty meteorite law". A surprising number of
meteorites are in collections now that have been associated with ancient
sites, the one wrapped like a mummy in a little tomb, the pallasite fragment
worn by leather like it was carried in a pouch for years, and so on. I
don't agree that just because people start to look for meteorites associated
with ancient sites then that means that those finds will automatically be
"lost" to the tribes, or that it might harm more traditional meteorite
hunting in any way.

The high profile meteorite case from the Pacific Northwest that was referred
to was a recent attempt at bringing the Willamette meteorite back home to
Oregon. I haven't heard how this turned out or if a decision has been
levied yet. However, I was surprised when I read of this case because
essentially the same argument was rejected by the courts regarding the very
same meteorite nearly 100 years ago. A Native American tribe tried to make
the case that the Willamette meteorite was a sacred object, they used to dip
their arrow heads in rain water that collected in the cavities, etc. The
court rejected that argument nearly 100 years ago, citing a couple reasons
as I recall, not the least of which was that they had not proved that they
had indeed regarded the meteorite as sacred before the object was
identified, and simply the proximity of the meteorite to the tribes location
was not sufficient. I think this would help reassure meteorite hunters that
any person or group that wants to use this sort of argument has some burden
of proof.

Remember, the Willamette meteorite is the largest meteorite recovered in
North America at 15 tons. It has and will attract more than it's fair share
of schemes to acquire ownership. It has already been the subject of several
court cases, and the history and anecdotes surrounding this meteorite could
fill it's own book.

Besides, knowing what other cultures thought of and how they used or treated
meteorites is legitimate science, and to me is no less interesting than what
we think of them or how we treat them.

Now, to the original question. If memory serves me, didn't someone post to
this list within the last couple months wondering how to verify if some
fragments he recovered at an old indian village site were pieces of Caddo
County, OK?

Frank Prochaska