[meteorite-list] Landing heat and fires

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:32 2004

Hi all -

    I am inclined to think that just the friction from
a meteorite just hitting the ground would cause a
certain amount of heat - Elton, you know about the
heat generated by impact, even with two "room
temperature" objects -
    Also, and different, I wonder if sometimes what
you may have are very small comets, which might
actually be set on fire by the entry friction, and
that fire might continue internally - Maybe that mud
from the little New Hampshire might have some remains
in it -

EP

http://www.cmonitor.com/stories/front0400/meteor_folo.shtml