[meteorite-list] Looking for Silkote-Alin Witness accounts

From: Kelly Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:33 2004

Hi,
    The Baxter and Atkins book, The Fire Came By (Doubleday, 1976, and
Warner paperback, 1977), is about Tunguska, not Sikhote-Alin. I looked
through my copy and could find no mention of Sikhote-Alin in text or
bibliography. Try E. L. Krinov, Giant Meteorites (Pergamon, 1966). He was
principal investigator for Sikhote-Alin, was on the first expedition, headed
subsequent expeditions. He was Kulik's assistant at Tunguska and is (was?)
chief Russian authority on meteorites. He has published a great deal about
Sikhote-Alin, much not translated into English. Try also: E. L. Krinov, New
Studies of the Sikhote-Alin Meteorite Shower, Sky & Telescope, Feb. 1969,
pp. 87-90. Don't know how many eye witness reports he included in his work,
though.

Sterling K. Webb