[meteorite-list] How Many Meteorites Fall?

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:33 2004

--------------83DDD85025892EC9325833E6

Hi Sterling and all,

Thanks for your most excellent post of meteorite influx!! I once calculated on much
more crude information and data an influx of about a one gram meteorite landing on an
80 acre field each year.
The Canadian data stated 23,930 meteorites over a hundred grams in weight (recalling
from memory) so one could expect a higher number of falls below 100 grams. (see Dodd's
work). Perhaps as much as 10 times more falls in the ten gram range. As you so
excellently posted though the chances of these being recognized is very low making the
events filled with gaps in order to get good data.

With the fact of so many auto's being hit in a time period, It makes one wonder what
the odds are each time one takes to the air. I am convinced that some unexplained
aviation disasters are meteoritically related, though they are no doubt rare.

Best regards and thanks for sharing your most excellent post and information!!

--AL

> More recently, Canada's Meteor Observation and Recovery Project
>
> estimated 23,930 meteorites per year as the worldwide fall rate.

--------------83DDD85025892EC9325833E6

Hi Sterling and all,
on much more crude information and data an influx of about a one gram meteorite
landing on an 80 acre field each year.
weight (recalling from memory) so one could expect a higher number of falls
below 100 grams. (see Dodd's work). Perhaps as much as 10 times more falls
in the ten gram range. As you so excellently posted though the chances
of these being recognized is very low making the events filled with gaps
in order to get good data.
one wonder what the odds are each time one takes to the air. I am convinced
that some unexplained aviation disasters are meteoritically related, though
they are no doubt rare.
<pre>More recently, Canada's Meteor Observation and Recovery Project</pre>

<pre>estimated 23,930 meteorites per year as the worldwide fall rate.</pre>