[meteorite-list] Thin Sections Illustrated - A "Must Have" Book

From: Alexander Seidel <ase_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:33 2004

Sure, Kevin! It is a fine book that you have been reviewing, and I also
have it on my bookshelf, but as you made clear in between your lines it
is devoted mainly to terrestrial rocks. In fact, I did not find a
specific reference to meteorites, but nonetheless this publication is
helpful in explaining "the basics" of thin section study.

Many of the subscribers to this list, and especially those who are also
subscribed to the METEORITE! magazine from NZ, know of the great
contributions that O. R. Norton, besides his famous and widely-known
book "Rocks from Space", has made especially about the optical study of
thin sections. What we thin section lovers (me included, yes! :-)) need
is that announced (in M!) book authored by him with the working title
"Meteorites - Fragments of Other Worlds", which is supposed to have that
special inclination towards the interpretation of meteorite thin
sections. I am eagerly awaiting it, but may be it will suffer from the
same fate of late delivery as the latest "new blue book" (Catalogue of
Meteorites, 5th ed.) did, before it finally and happily appeared on the
market recently.

BTW: why are there so few of the meteorite lovers AND dedicated list
people subscribed to one of the ultimate authorities in the field of
meteoritics (The Meteoritical Society) and their journal (Meteoritics &
Planetary Science, shortly known as MAPS)? I always wondered....

Alex

--
 Alexander Seidel  | Home position on planet Earth: |