[meteorite-list] [Fwd: SCAN 89-03 METEORS AND METEORITES]Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter

From: E.L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:34 2004

FYI

> 89-03 METEORS AND METEORITES
> Additions to the STI Database since 09/02/00

> **** Additional information on SCAN and how to order documents can be found at:
> http://www.sti.nasa.gov/scan/scan.html ****
>

> Title: Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter
> Document ID: 20000083885
> Report #: None
> Sales Agency: CASI Hardcopy A03
> CASI Microfiche A01
> No Copyright
> Authors: Satterwhite, Cecilia (Lockheed Martin Corp.)
> Lindstrom, Marilyn (NASA Johnson Space Center)
> Published: 19990201
> Source: NASA Johnson Space Center (Houston, TX United States)
> Pages: 12
> Contract #: None
> Abstract: This Newsletter Contains Classifications of 143 New
> Meteorites from the 1997 ANSMET Collection. Descriptions
> are given for 6 meteorites;2 eucrites, and 4 ordinary
> chondrites. We don't expect much excitement from the rest
> of the 1997 collection. JSC has examined another 100
> meteorites to send to the Smithsonian for classification
> and they appear to be more of the same LL5 shower. However,
> past experience tells us that there will be some treasures
> hidden in the remaining samples. Hope rings eternal, but we
> can't wait to see the 1998 collection described below.
> Language: English

> Title: Mineralogy of the Solar System
> Document ID: 20000085161
> Report #: None
> Sales Agency: Issuing Activity
> No Copyright
> Authors: Zolensky, Michael E. (NASA Johnson Space Center)
> Published: 19990101
> Source: NASA Johnson Space Center (Houston, TX United States)
> Pages: 3
> Contract #: None
> Abstract: The coming decade will witnesses the first sample return
> missions from solar system bodies in 30 years. These
> samples will all be very small, some missions return only a
> few milligrams of total mass. Fortunately, the capability
> of modem methods to characterize ultra-small samples is
> well established from analysis of interplanetary dust
> particles (IDPs), interstellar grains recovered from
> meteorites, and other materials requiring ultra-sensitive
> analytical capabilities. Powerful analytical techniques are
> available that require, under favorable circumstances,
> single particles of only a few nanograms for entire suites
> of fairly comprehensive characterizations. A returned
> sample of greater than 1,000 particles with total mass of
> just one microgram permits comprehensive quantitative
> geochemical measurements that are impractical to can-y out
> in situ by flight instruments. With the Galileo flybys of
> Gaspra and Ida, it is now recognized that even very small
> airless bodies have indeed developed a particulate
> regolith. Acquiring a sample of the bulk regolith, a simple
> sampling strategy, provides two critical pieces of
> information about the body. Regolith samples are excellent
> [...]

 Title: Langley Research Highlights 1999: Advanced Aerospace
               Technology Clouds That Help Create the Ozone Hole Capturing
               Comet Dust
 Document ID: 20000081772
 Report #: NASA/TM-2000-210285, L-18007, NAS 1.15:210285
 Sales Agency: CASI Hardcopy A04
               CASI Microfiche A01
               No Copyright
 Authors: (Author(s) Not Available)
 Published: 20000801
 Source: NASA Langley Research Center (Hampton, VA United States)
 Pages: 68
 Contract #: None
 Abstract: This report contains highlights of some of the major
               accomplishments and applications made by NASA Langley
               Research Center and its university partners and industry
               colleagues during 1999. The highlights illustrate the broad
               range of research and technology activities carried out by
               NASA Langley and the contributions of this work toward
               maintaining United States' leadership in aeronautics and
               space research. The Center's historic national role since
               1917 continues in Aerospace Technology research with an
               additional major role in Earth Science research. Langley
               also partners closely with other NASA Centers and the Jet
               Propulsion Laboratory in Space Science and the Human
               Exploration and Development of Space. A color version is
               available at http://larcpubs.larc.nasa.gov/randt/1999/. For
               further information, contact Dennis Bushnell, Senior
               Scientist, Mail Stop 110, NASA Langley Research Center,
               Hampton, Virginia 23681-2199, (757)-864-8987, e-mail
               address: d.m.bushnell_at_larc.nasa.gov.
 Language: English