[meteorite-list] Lafayette-a possible fall?

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:35 2004

Matt Morgan schrieb:

> Not long ago, I remember reading somewhere that the Nakhlite Lafayette may
> have been a witnessed fall. However, I cannot seem to find the reference! An
> old Nininger pub comes to mind, but I am drawing a blank. Can someone help
> me out? I know this stone was unharmed while on earth, but does show signs
> of ET weathering. Thanks in advance.

Hi Matt and List,

S t e v e S c h o n e r posted this to the List in Apr 1999!

The Published Papers of H.H. Nininger: pp. 247-251.

Nothing is known regarding the time at which this remarkable meteorite
fell, but its fresh appearance renders it practically certain that it
had not lain on the earth for a very long time before it was picked up
and protected against abuses of a mechanical nature. The story is told
that a colored student of Purdue University reported that a number of
years ago while fishing at the edge of a little lake he was frightened
by the falling of a stone at a distance of only a few feet from him.
This stone he later dug from the soft mud and found it to be "shaped
just like a "corn pone" and of about the same size. For a time he
preserved the stone. It was thought that he had brought it to the
University, but these reports have not been substantiated for the
reason that the person could not be located.

Best wishes,

Bernd