[meteorite-list] Re: My First Hunt + Gold Basin Data

From: geoking_at_notkin.net <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:36 2004

Dear Don and List:

Don wrote:

>I am aware of the project and I think it's a wonderful idea. Two weeks
>ago, I reported all my finds to the Meteorite Recovery Program.

Don, you're certainly to be commended not just for locating all those
hard-to-find chondrites, but also for contributing valuable research
information about the Gold Basin strewn field. I've since looked at
your items on eBay, and was intrigued by your idea of bagging the
finds using tweezers . . . so somebody else could be the first person
ever to touch those meteorites. That takes a lot of restraint! I was
also very impressed that you took time to photograph each meteorite
in situ, and to record the GPS coordinates. Good work! : )

>I have yet to receive a response. I sent the data to Jim Kriegh. Should I have
>sent it to David Kring?

In the early days of the project, I believe Jim Kriegh was collecting
all the pertinent information. When hunting at G.B. in 1998 and 1999,
my friends and I did give all our find data to Jim, and he passed it
along to Dr. Kring. It's my belief that such information now goes
directly to Dr. Kring, but I'll check with Jim and get back to you.

Regards,

Geoff N.

Geoffrey Notkin
Senior Art Director
Stanegate Studios, USA
P.O. Box 87, Jersey City, NJ 07303

Telephone: (201) 435-8888

Email: geoking_at_notkin.net ammonite@aol.com
Web: www.notkin.net

We talk about the "whys" and "wherefores"
Do we really care at all?
Talk about the frailty of words is rarely meaningful
When we're sitting watching the planes burn up through the night
Like meteorites

  -- T.V. Smith