[meteorite-list] ETTER QUESTION

From: Mikestockj_at_aol.com <Mikestockj_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:38 2004

--part1_b2.f18a6d7.277a4147_boundary

Hi Matteo
What you are asking is probably a difficult question to answer without asking
each person who listed the classification. My guess is that some of them are
typos or other human errors. What I can answer is that Etter was originally
classified by (Huss, 1975) as an H6. Then (Rubin, 1983) reclassified it an
L5, which is how both (Grossman, 2000) and (Grady, 2000) list it. So I would
say the "official" classification is L5.
But this is not to say some other researcher hasn't looked at it recently and
reclassified yet again. In fact because it is a fragmental breccia all of
the classifications could theoretically be correct. Though I was not able to
find any new sources that have reclassified it.
Again I would consider the fact that the two main sources for official
classifications agree on L5 and leave it at that.

Grady, M. 2000. Catalogue of Meteorites. 5th ed. Cambridge U. Press, London,
England. 689pp.
Grossman, J. N. 2000. Master Index of all Meteoritical Bulletins 1959-June
2000. Meteoritical Society Web Page; Meteoritical Bulletin. <A HREF="http://www.uark.edu/campus-resources/metsoc/metbull.htm">The Meteoritical
Bulletin Home Page</A> 12/26/00.
Huss, G. I. 1975. Discovery of the Etter, Texas Stony Meteorite. Meteoritics
10, 147.
Rubin, A. E., et. al. 1983. Fragmental Breccias and the Collisional Evolution
of Ordinary Chondrite Parent Bodies. Meteoritics 18, 179.

Hope that helps.
Mike

Mike Jensen
Bill Jensen
Jensen Meteorites
8503 W. Mtn. View LN
Littleton CO 80125
303-337-4361
Web Site: www.meteorite.com
(click on Jensen Meteorites) or go to
 <A HREF="http://www.meteorite.com/Jensen/index.htm">Jensen Meteorites</A>

--part1_b2.f18a6d7.277a4147_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>Hi Matteo
<BR>What you are asking is probably a difficult question to answer without asking <BR>each person who listed the classification. &nbsp;My guess is that some of them are <BR>typos or other human errors. &nbsp;What I can answer is that Etter was originally <BR>classified by (Huss, 1975) as an H6. &nbsp;Then (Rubin, 1983) reclassified it an <BR>L5, which is how both (Grossman, 2000) and (Grady, 2000) list it. &nbsp;So I would <BR>say the "official" classification is L5.
<BR>But this is not to say some other researcher hasn't looked at it recently and <BR>reclassified yet again. &nbsp;In fact because it is a fragmental breccia all of <BR>the classifications could theoretically be correct. &nbsp;Though I was not able to <BR>find any new sources that have reclassified it.
<BR>Again I would consider the fact that the two main sources for official <BR>classifications agree on L5 and leave it at that.
<BR>
<BR>Grady, M. 2000. Catalogue of Meteorites. 5th ed. Cambridge U. Press, London, <BR>England. 689pp.
<BR>Grossman, J. N. 2000. Master Index of all Meteoritical Bulletins 1959-June <BR>2000. Meteoritical Society Web Page; Meteoritical Bulletin. &nbsp;<A HREF="http://www.uark.edu/campus-resources/metsoc/metbull.htm">The Meteoritical <BR>Bulletin Home Page</A> 12/26/00.
<BR>Huss, G. I. 1975. Discovery of the Etter, Texas Stony Meteorite. <I>Meteoritics</I> <BR>10, 147.
<BR>Rubin, A. E., et. al. 1983. Fragmental Breccias and the Collisional Evolution <BR>of Ordinary Chondrite Parent Bodies. <I>Meteoritics</I> 18, 179.
<BR>
<BR>Hope that helps.
<BR>Mike
<BR>
<BR>Mike Jensen
<BR>Bill Jensen
<BR>Jensen Meteorites
<BR>8503 W. Mtn. View LN
<BR>Littleton CO 80125
<BR>303-337-4361
<BR>Web Site: www.meteorite.com
<BR>(click on Jensen Meteorites) or go to
<BR> <A HREF="http://www.meteorite.com/Jensen/index.htm">Jensen Meteorites</A> </FONT></HTML>

--part1_b2.f18a6d7.277a4147_boundary--