[meteorite-list] Ross Canyon and Kem-Kem classification

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:39 2004

Tracy,

I can guarantee that you DO NOT have NWA 050 or 051.

And there is one other thing that I'm certain of, and
that is - on your label the only two pieces of
information that are valid, are:

"stone chondrite", and "Morocco"

all the other "misinformation" is speculative.

Regarding NWA 050 & 051 (and other "Moroccans"):

Kem Kem is not an approved name for a meteorite.
Kem Kem and Taouz are areas of "Possible Origin".
Tagounite is the name of a town which has a bazaar
that sells many, MANY different meteorites.
So, Tagounite is a "Place of Purchase"

Although Tagounite (IIIAB) and Taouz (L6) are approved
names for meteorites, the use of these terms as "place
names" in the Meteoritical Bulletin should NOT be
construed as having any relationship to the (IIIAB) or
(L6) meteorites.

In the case of NWA 050 & 051, the importers memory is
relied upon for the accuracy of the information for
areas of "Possible Origin" and "Place of Purchase".
For instance, had the coin come up "heads", the
"Possible Origin" would have been Taouz instead of the
now documented "Kem Kem".

Now that I've tried to explain what little I know
about these NWAs, why do I feel like all that I have
done is nothing more than having poured a glass of
clear sparkling water into a muddy river?

Bob V.

Message: 13