[meteorite-list] Heavy Metal in CO3?

From: Gary Hansen <garyhansen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:06 2004

Perhaps the Gurus on the group can tell me about this.
 Here is a picture of my DAG749 CO3 sample.

http://garyhansen.50megs.com/Fegrain.jpg

Circled is what appears to be an iron grain. There is
some alteration around it, perhaps due to weathering.
(It was very close to original surface.) Matson's
"Handbook of Elemental Abundances in Meteorites" says
that CO's can have 3-19% metallic iron.

I have not been able to find much information about
elemental iron in carbonaceous chondrites. Where do
such droplets come from and why are they seen in
petrologic type 3? Why not in other CCs?

Gary