[meteorite-list] UA Science Team Readies For NEAR Landing

From: Stuart Forbes <stuart.forbes_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:07 2004

Having looked at the story, I get the feeling astrophysicists have a wee bit
too much time on their hands!!

But regarding Eros, I can't help but think back to the Gemini 9 mission,
when America performed its second ever space walk. Astronaut Gene Cernan was
supposed to exit the craft, climb to the back of it and put on a backpack
with control thrusters. It was a disaster! He had no hand holds, so every
time he touched the spacecraft, it pushed him back, so he spent a couple of
hours floating around, ultimately achieving nothing! By the time everyone
remembered Newton's 3rd law, they had hand-holds installed for Gemini 12
(and Buzz Aldrin did 3 perfect EVAs). The reason I mention this is that in
the NASA press release someone said "it's just going to fall over". No its
not, its going to bounce off, just like Gene Cernan did!

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland
stuart.forbes_at_dial.pipex.com