[meteorite-list] UA Science Team Readies For NEAR Landing

From: Tracy Latimer <tracyl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:07 2004

OK ladies and gentlemen, place yer bets!
Anyone want to start a pool on what will happen when the spacecraft
finally does touch down (impact?) the surface of Eros?
Bounce wildly around before settling down, a la Pathfinder on Mars?
Bounce once or twice?
Settle gently to land?
Bury itself in a puddle of dust?
Come in too fast and splatter itself over the landscape?
Bounce off and become another eventual Earth-impactor? or spin off into
uncharted space?
Go BOOM (heaven forbid!)?

The possibilities are boundless. I'm just pleased to have a front row
seat for the landing. Thank you, Ron, for the regular updates.

Tracy Latimer
--I'll put one of my unidentified Sahara chips into the kitty--