[meteorite-list] Miarolitic or not?? (was, "RE: Meteorite or not???")

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:08 2004

Weathered meteorites can have vugs. Often an Fe-Ni
grain can be completely weathered out leaving a void
which many times is filled or lined with terrestrial
minerals, such as evaporites or oxides.

So, vugs aren't always vesicles.

I haven't checked this out, yet, so jump into this
thread if you know for sure, but I think of the small
voids in Ibitira as being more like "miarolitic
cavities", than as vesicles??

(Miarolitic Cavity - small angular cavities of various
forms in igneous rocks, sometimes lined with mineral
crystals; most common in felsic plutonic rocks.)

For those that are interested, you can do a Web Search
on these terms:

amygdaloidal
druse
miarolitic cavities

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English
Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

   vug

  SYLLABICATION: vug
  PRONUNCIATION: vg, vg

  NOUN : A small cavity in a rock or vein, often
with a mineral lining of different composition from
that of the surrounding rock.

 ETYMOLOGY: Cornish vooga.
 OTHER FORMS: vug´gy — ADJECTIVE