[meteorite-list] Petrologic Groups

From: Robert Beauford <wendirob_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:08 2004

Can or would anyone on the list take a moment and explain to me the 1-10
subgrouping system on the petrologic group 3's?

Also, could someone please explain how a chondrite achieves a petrologic
classification with a range (ie H3-5 or L3-6)?

And question number 3... Is it typically, or even consistently possible,
with visual examination alone, to distinguish a Carbonaceous Chondrite from
an L or H class Chondrite? An LL from and L class? Or an Enstatite from a
more common H (or L) class?

Thank you so much for taking time to help me with these questions.
-Robert Beauford : )